Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
My research in biomedical simulation and high performance computing focuses on the development of new computational tools that we use to provide insight into the localization and development of human diseases ranging from atherosclerosis to cancer.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 301 Gross Hall, 140 Science Dr., Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5425
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Web Pages:
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 2013
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions:
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2016
- Best Paper, IEEE International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS) 2015. IEEE. 2015
- Gordon Bell Finalist. ACM. 2015
- Early Independence Award. NIH. 2014
- Lawrence Fellowship. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. 2013
- U.S. Delegate . Heidelberg Laureate Forum. 2013
- Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship. Google. 2012
- George Michael Memorial High Performance Computing Fellowship. ACM/IEEE. 2012
- U.S. Delegate . Lindau Nobel Laureates and Students Meeting Dedicated to Physics. 2012
- Computational Science Graduate Fellowship. Department of Energy. 2010
- George Michael Memorial High Performance Computing Fellowship. ACM/IEEE. 2010
- Gordon Bell Finalist. ACM. 2010
- Graduate Research Fellowship. National Science Foundation. 2009
- BME 307: Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems (AC or GE, BB)
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- CEE 307: Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems (AC or GE, BB)
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- Gounley, J; Vardhan, M; Randles, A, A computational framework to assess the influence of changes in vascular geometry on blood flow, PASC 2017 - Proceedings of the Platform for Advanced Scientific Computing Conference (2017) [10.1145/3093172.3093227] [abs].
- Dabagh, M; Jalali, P; Butler, PJ; Randles, A; Tarbell, JM, Mechanotransmission in endothelial cells subjected to oscillatory and multi-directional shear flow., Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol 14 no. 130 (2017) [10.1098/rsif.2017.0185] [abs].
- Laurence, TA; Ly, S; Fong, E; Shusteff, M; Randles, A; Gounley, J; Draeger, E, Using stroboscopic flow imaging to validate large-scale computational fluid dynamics simulations, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 10076 (2017) [10.1117/12.2253319] [abs].
- Gounley, J; Draeger, EW; Randles, A, Numerical simulation of a compound capsule in a constricted microchannel., Procedia Computer Science, vol 108 (2017), pp. 175-184 [10.1016/j.procs.2017.05.209] [abs].
- Gounley, J; Chaudhury, R; Vardhan, M; Driscoll, M; Pathangey, G; Winarta, K; Ryan, J; Frakes, D; Randles, A, Does the degree of coarctation of the aorta influence wall shear stress focal heterogeneity?, Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology - Proceedings, vol 2016 (2016), pp. 3429-3432 [10.1109/embc.2016.7591465] [abs].